Pages

Friday, December 23, 2022

When Lightning Strikes Twice


In 1993 my wife and I were still newlyweds and still getting used to living life together. For my wife this meant getting used to being a football widow every Sunday from September to February. So on January third, with my new mother-in-law in town, I figured it was best for my fledgling marriage if I gave in to my wife’s request and took her and her mother shopping. Full disclosure, shopping is one of my least favorite activities but I decided to be nice figuring I would only miss one NFL playoff game.

We made a few different stops, including one in Strawbridges in nearby Willow Grove Park Mall. For those of you not from Pennsylvania, New York or New Jersey Strawbridges was a department store that evolved from a local store called Strawbridge and Clothier, which was eventually bought by Macy’s. At some point the folks at Macy’s did away with the Strawbridges name but my story takes place back when the mall had both Macy’s and Strawbridges as anchor stores and when department stores still had a wall of televisions in their electronics sections.

On that day it seemed like every television in the store was turned to the game and there was a large group of men watching. Somehow they seemed unusually excited about what was at that point an overtime game, so I decided to stick around to watch how the game ended. Little did I know that I was seeing the end of what was then the greatest comeback in NFL history which ended with a Buffalo field goal in OT. As the ball went through the uprights I decided that from that time forward I would regularly remind my wife that I missed this historic game because she wanted to go shopping. Fortunately she has a good sense of humor and we have both learned to laugh whenever I tell this story.

After this past weekend the laughs are all on me and this will probably be the last time that I ever tell the story of missing the Bills’ comeback win. This weekend I was the one who planned an afternoon shopping trip, even though this was one of the Saturdays when there would be NFL games. Both my son and my wife thought it odd that I would choose shopping over football but I needed to finish my Christmas list. Besides, I figured I would only miss one game and that’s where I made my mistake. 

Somehow, once again, I missed the greatest comeback in NFL history as the Vikings came back from being down by 33 points to beat the Colts in overtime. Yes, somehow lightning did strike twice and it’s finally time for me to put an old story to rest. Now my wife can tell everyone how I made her miss the greatest comeback in NFL history and if you see me shopping during a football game you might want to run to the nearest television.


No comments:

Post a Comment