Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2022

When the Answer to Prayer is Not What You Expect


Over the last few years I have been praying for a family member who has been dealing with a chronic health issue, praying on and off for deliverance which seemed at times to be unlikely. This year I felt moved to begin praying for overall good health, not just about the issue at hand. I expanded the scope of my prayers, asking for the removal of all obstacles to good health. Little did I know that the biggest obstacle was hidden away: a small area of precancerous cells that would be discovered almost by accident.

I say by accident but the discovery was no accident. I believe God directed the search, leading doctors to find this very small patch of cells before they could become something else. I had been praying without knowing the real need, while thinking that changes in diet and other lifestyle changes would help along with a little divine intervention. The real need was surgery and God put us on the right path, leading us to doctors who (under God’s direction) made the right choices. The cells were found by a doctor who is the only one in the region who performs the procedure that led to the discovery and we know that it was God who took us to this doctor in the first place. Fortunately God sees all and His answer, while unexpected, uncovered a hidden issue and likely prevented a much bigger problem.

I could only see the obvious problem, which is what I was praying about. God saw the problem lying beneath the surface. I was asking for what I thought was the biggest health need but God saw an even bigger need. Seeing what we could not, God intervened  and I am thankful. From this I am reminded that while I think I know what I should pray for, God answers with what He knows we need. That’s the key thing we need to remember when God’s answer to prayer is not what we expect. God’s answer, though different from what we would do, is always what’s best.


No comments:

Post a Comment