Pages

Monday, April 27, 2020

The Chase

Photo by chris howard from Pexels

I recently watched the season finale of Chasing Classic Cars on Motor Trend Network. This reality show stars Wayne Carini, owner of F40 Motorsports in Connecticut, who buys and restores classic cars. The show follows the process as he visits homes and barns in search of cars that might turn a profit. In the finale Carini spoke of how nine out of every ten leads he receives wind up without him purchasing a car. I tried to wrap my head around a 90% failure rate. Beyond the financial considerations, what makes that one out of ten worth the chase? This must be an example of someone pursuing their passion and a great example for others learning to do the same.

The connection between career and passion has long been a tough thing for me to wrap my head around, as one of my symptoms of growing up in a codependent household is a view of work that is very limiting. I was told growing up that work was all about the paycheck and that I should find something to do that is legal and that makes a lot of money. Passion and loving what I am doing were not part of the equation.

Even as I saw it in the work lives of others, I remained convinced that passion was something a man and a woman had for each other. Passion for work didn't add up until a friend of mine told me the difference between a job and a career. By his definition a job was something you do just for a paycheck, whereas a career is something you build because you want to build. I thought the difference was whether you are hourly instead of salaried. My friend opened my eyes in a way that allowed passion and love to finally become part of the career conversation.

I'm now learning to bring passion into my work, although sometimes it still seems like a foreign concept. When I heard Wayne Carini make that 9 out of 10 comment, a light bulb came on. What I've seen over several seasons of Chasing Classic Cars is passion and I started thinking about the things that I would be willing to do even with a 90% failure rate. Writing immediately came to mind. For now I still have my day job which I am thankful for especially as I see so many losing their jobs during this pandemic. As working from home gives me a chance to really examine what I do on the day job, I am also looking forward to my own chase. I am looking forward to doing something I can be passionate about. Now, where's my pen?

No comments:

Post a Comment