Pages

Friday, May 1, 2020

Stay At Home Orders and God's Blessings

Photo by bongkarn thanyakij from Pexels

It has been a strange and uncomfortable month and a half. I'm one who likes to plan and to know where my next several steps will go. But as any follower of Jesus can tell you, this is not how God works in our lives and the current pandemic amplifies how much I am not in control. As I write this there is no sign of when things will open up where I live. And then there are the real causes of stress. From dealing with the death of a family member who contracted COVID-19 to the stress of knowing a number of people who work in healthcare, there are plenty of things in my world right now trying to get me down. Where can I find peace and stability? I find it in my relationship with God.

"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:19 (NKJV)

We are fortunate in that both my wife and I are still receiving paychecks. My wife works in healthcare, essential to our current crisis. My employer is doing its best to keep staff members employed until we can get back into the building. We are blessed to still have jobs when so many have lost their livelihoods. Something like 30 million people have filed for unemployment in the United States. I suspect that number will go up and I pray for those who are struggling to make ends meet.

In my 30+ years of following Christ I have seen God keep the promise of Philippians 4:19. I've lived through times when we weren't sure how we would make it financially. In those times God has found a way. Sometimes He provided by sending unexpected money: a gift or a bonus that arrived just as we needed. We've also had times when the same amount of money seemed to cover more than it did the month before. I have seen God provide and it is a blessing to know that He will do so no matter what happens tomorrow.

Not only has He provided, He has blessed. Right as the stay at home order kicked in for our area the television in our family room broke. God provided for a new one with more features and a larger screen than the old. I guess we could debate if that's a need or a blessing. With two teenage boys, I say it's both. We were able to pay cash and still buy my wife what she wanted for her birthday, again paying cash. I thank God for both blessings as well as for the blessing that is my wife.

Philippians 4:19 is a promise and a blessing given to all believers. Alongside of it I have a more personal promise that is a blessing during this time. Years ago God promised that I will not lose my day job and will not leave until it is time to start my next career. Based on His promise I can relax knowing this pandemic will not cost me my job unless it is time for something new. Knowing that God has a plan is one of the greatest blessings anyone can have and a great comfort during this unusual time.

How has God blessed you as He guides us during this pandemic?

No comments:

Post a Comment