Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Putting A Stop Sign Up To Gossip

Recently I was asked to define gossip and to explain the difference between gossiping and calling out injustice. I gave the definitions I've learned during various Bible studies along with a few other thoughts. Then I went and prayed, something I realize I should have done first. While I was in prayer a question boiled up in my heart. It's a simple question, one I am going to start asking myself often. I passed it along to the person who asked about gossiping and would like to pass it along to you just to give you something to think about.

Before I do so, I admit to you that this is an area where I have not always been in the right. This question has already helped me see how far off course I am. It is a question which, if you answer honestly and prayerfully, will likely change your conversations. Are you ready for change? Then start asking yourself:

"Is this a conversation I can have about someone I truly love?"

It's that simple. But keep in mind that followers of Jesus are called to love everyone. So anything we would say about anyone should be limited by the fact that we love that person. And anything that can't be said out of love?...well...you should probably keep your mouth shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment