Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Is The Church Still A Source of Hope?

Is today's church a source of hope during difficult times?

One of my favorite television shows is Food Network's Restaurant Impossible, starring Robert Irvine. In each episode Chef Irvine visits a failing restaurant. Early episodes involved Irvine showing up unexpectedly, having been invited by someone close to the restaurant's owner. More recently Irvine's visits are scheduled but owners sometimes still seem caught off guard by the force of Irvine's personality. (Executive producer Marc Summers once called Chef Irvine a cartoon character come to life and it seems like Irvine is quite the experience.) Irvine doesn't just fix the restaurant, he challenges the mindset that caused the restaurant to fail in the first place. In 48 hours Irvine and his crew breathe life into a desperate situation, leaving behind the hope of future success.

I find myself wondering if I instill the same feeling of hope in those around me. After all, the Bible does say that as a follower of Christ I should have an impact on those around me. The Bible says that I, along with my brothers and sisters in Christ, am the salt of the earth. Salt takes something that is bland and makes it taste better. Salt takes something that's basic and lifts it up, enhancing the flavor and giving hope that the meal will be spectacular. In Christ, we believers are called to lift up those around us, giving hope of a better outcome no matter the situation. Is the church still in the business of offering hope? Am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment