Pages

Friday, January 4, 2019

2019 NFL Wild Card Round

Courtesy of Pexels.com
The last few years I have enjoyed trying to pick winners in the NFL playoffs. Last year was especially fun as I watched the Eagles take home the Lombardi Trophy while earning myself an overall playoff record of 17-10. This year I get to enjoy seeing both of my favorite teams in the playoffs, though only one will survive this weekend's wild card round. I'll tell you which of my favorites moves on but first let's look at the two Saturday games.

Indianapolis Colts vs. Houston Texans
Saturday 4:35pm on ESPN

These two teams split their games during the regular season with the road team winning each game. I expect both defenses to win the battles at the line of scrimmage forcing the offenses to play with quite a bit of discomfort. In fact both teams face the likelihood of becoming one dimensional, resting their fates on the arms (and for one team legs) of their respective quarterbacks. That opens the door for two great receiver performances by the Colt's Hilton and the Texans' Hopkins. The Texans do have an edge though, in that if either team can run the ball it will be the home team. In what should be a fun game to watch I just don't see the Colts winning twice in NRG Stadium. I think Watson outplays Luck leading his team to a win.
Colts 27 Texans 34

Seattle Seahawks vs. Dallas Cowboys
Saturday 8:15pm on Fox

The Seahawks have been very quiet this year, a stealth team with a solid record but without the noise that seems to surround some of the other playoff teams. They will arrive in AT&T stadium carrying playoff experience along with the league's top running game. They will face one of the league's best running backs and an offense that improved significantly with the arrival of Amari Cooper. Both quarterbacks are capable of making big plays when needed and this is likely to be a high scoring game. Which defense is more likely to make a critical stop in the 4th quarter? I think that will be the Seahawks defense giving them the win.
Seahawks 45 Cowboys 42

Los Angeles Chargers vs. Baltimore Ravens
Sunday 1:05pm on CBS

I'm having a tough time with this one. On paper these teams are close. But the season's stats do not give the full picture of what the Ravens have been since they changed their depth chart at quarterback. Lamar Jackson has changed this team. I'm just not sure if he changes them enough to beat the Chargers. These teams are evenly matched. Can the Ravens defense slow Philip Rivers and a very balanced Chargers' offense? Can the Chargers slow down the Ravens' running game? The Ravens are on a roll and I believe they will move on.
Chargers 14 Ravens 27

Philadelphia Eagles vs Chicago Bears
Sunday 4:40pm on NBC

I grew up in Northwest Indiana where our tv stations came out of Chicago. I watched the Bears through the Walter Payton years, suffering each season until they shuffled to a Super Bowl win. More recently I have lived in Philadelphia for over thirty years suffering with the Eagles until last year's Super Bowl victory. Now my life long favorite sports franchise is playing against my home team. In the end I'll likely feel happy and heart broken at the same time. This is also a tough pick for me as I know one of these fan bases is about to throw me off the bus.

This should be a great final game in a fun weekend. Who wins will depend a lot on Doug Pederson. Now I know a coach normally cannot win or lose a game but in this case the outcome rests on Pederson's patience with the run. If he loses patience the Bears defense will make him pay with turnovers and even a score or two. I think the Bears defense finds the end zone at least once leading to a Bears win in a tight one.
Eagles 13 Bears 14

Sorry Eagles’ fans. That hurts me too.

These are my picks for wild card weekend. Who do you think is going to win?

I heard two radio announcers complaining that while defense wins championships, low scoring defensive battles are boring. What do you prefer, a low scoring defensive battle or a shootout offensive showdown?

No comments:

Post a Comment