Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2019

2019 NFL Divisional Playoff Round

Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

I could have done better last week had I flipped a coin or used darts. My picks were like the kiss of death leaving me with a record of 17 and 14. On top of that the "double doink" left me feeling numb after the Bears loss to the Eagles. That game was tough on me with my two favorite teams playing each other. Parkey's eleventh missed field goal left me in a place where I could neither enjoy the Eagles win nor mourn the Bears loss. I just felt funny...just numb.

Here are my picks for the divisional playoff round, although based on last week, teams may not want me to pencil them into the win column.

Indianapolis Colts vs Kansas City Chiefs
Saturday 4:35pm on NBC

Two great offenses will step onto the field at Arrowhead Stadium. We will get to see an outstanding rookie quarterback vs. a candidate for comeback player of the year. These teams are even in every aspect except on defense. I still believe defense wins championships making a difference even in shootouts. Plus I think Hunt's actions have hurt the Chiefs on many levels. The Chiefs' home playoff losing streak continues.
Colts 35 Chiefs 24

Dallas Cowboys vs Los Angeles Rams
Saturday 8:15pm on Fox

I mentioned last week how the Cowboys' offense improved significantly with the addition of Amari Cooper. This improvement makes this team better than they look statistically on paper. Better offense also helps a good defense play even better. This week that defense will face an offense that has been one if the best all season. This game will come down to running backs, namely can either back be slowed down. This means both defenses will have their hands full. I think Dallas will have the advantage at the line of scrimmage.
Cowboys 30 Rams 27

Los Angeles Chargers vs New England Patriots
Sunday 1:05pm on CBS

A lot has been made of the Chargers' record on the road. While they are impressive away from home a trip to Gillette Stadium for a playoff game is an entirely different situation. The Chargers will face a Patriots team that is not a dominant team like in past years but they are still good. The Patriots offense will not stall like the Ravens last week. They will score but will their defense be able to keep the Chargers out of the end zone? These teams are evenly matched. Usually when teams are even I go with the better defense. However in this case I have to go with the Patriots who almost always find a way to overcome their own shortcomings.
Chargers 24 Patriots 27

Philadelphia Eagles vs New Orleans Saints
Sunday 4:40pm on Fox

Forget the score of their regular season game. This is not the same Eagles team as the one that gave up 48 points in November. The defensive secondary has come together covering better down the stretch, finally taking advantage of the pressure applied by their front four. The Eagles will play 4 quarters this time around, something they had not done most if the regular season. But the Saints are 13-3 for a reason and Drew Brees is, as always, consistently good. Brees and his receivers present matchup problems which will test the Eagles' secondary. I think this game will come down to two things. First, can the Eagles defense avoid giving up big plays? They must keep the Saints offense in front of them and they cannot afford any missed tackles. Second, will the Eagles stay patient with the run? They will have to if they are to win.
Eagles 21 Saints 27

Sorry fellow Eagles fans or, based on my last week's picks, maybe this is good for the birds, bolts, Rams and Chiefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment