Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Sometimes You Just Need Some Time Off

February was a difficult month for me, a month where I felt like I needed more than 24 hours per day. I was very busy and even accomplished a thing or two, but I just couldn’t get to the tasks that I really wanted to do. In fact, my only accomplishments were ones that had deadlines. Everything else fell by the wayside. I did some writing but only where something was due. With no deadlines, my blog suffered neglect. (Thank you and sorry to those who kept checking in during the last few weeks.) Other than news and magazines, I did not do any real reading and it was hard to relax while watching my to-do list get longer. Unfortunately this is not the first time this has happened but this time around I knew exactly what I needed: time off.

For the record, this “time off” was not like my usual vacation time. I didn’t go anywhere or plan any special activities. I basically set aside a week where, for the most part, I hoped to avoid distractions. This of course meant a week away from the day job’s demands and the requirements that come with the position. This was a week where I could think without being bothered or write without being bothered or read or work on the house or…sit and do nothing…all without distractions. Fortunately, unlike the last couple of years, I have the house to myself (except for the cat) because there are no lockdowns or virtual school or any other reason for someone else to be home. It’s just me, the cat, a smart speaker, my thoughts and God.


Sometimes you just need some time off. I used my time for prayer and for time spent without distraction in order to allow God to bring me back into alignment with His will. I spent the time reminding myself of what is really important to me. My time off was like hitting a big reset button, clearing my mind so that I could think about the path I choose to take. I needed a week to catch my breath and to remind myself to keep breathing. And now I feel ready to live instead of just doing.


Sometimes you just need some time off. Just writing that makes me feel a whole lot better.



No comments:

Post a Comment