Pages

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Second Time Around, Enjoying the Eagles' Win

I was called a front-runner as I searched for someone with whom I could celebrate the Super Bowl win. I grew up watching the Bears, having suffered a number of ups and downs. I still remember the season where the head coach kept changing quarterbacks like a baseball manager making changes on the mound. Then there was the season where so many Bears' QB's got injured that legendary running back Walter Payton had to run the offense out of the shotgun. After years of frustration the Bears won the Super Bowl. Unfortunately at the start of that season I moved to Atlanta to go to school.

There were very few Bears' fans in Atlanta in 1986 so I was alone in celebrating that win. I missed the parades and the interviews with crying and excited fans. I missed the build up during the '85 season, the excitement and the doubts as a defense that struggled early in the season became one of the best ever. I missed all the fun and excitement in Chicago as the Lombardi trophy took its place in Halas Hall. It hurt to miss out. I felt like I was not a part of things: a fan with no real connection. Having a (jealous) classmate call me a front-runner only added to the pain.

I still have an allegiance to the Bears but having lived in Philadelphia for 30 years I have grown quite fond of midnight green (kelly green as well). No, 30 years is not as long a time as some of the Eagles' fans in the area have suffered, but after not celebrating a win for 32 years I am ready for the festivities. I look forward to being in town for my second time around celebrating a Super Bowl win. This time I get to celebrate with millions of fans. I won't be alone and I don't expect to be called a front-runner. This time around I am going to drink it all in, truly enjoying the celebration.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!

No comments:

Post a Comment