Pages

Monday, August 29, 2022

My Least Favorite Commercials


Over the years there have been a number of commercials that...well…bug me. Some bother me because they insult the viewer’s intelligence. Others are bothersome because of an annoying jingle or claims that have nothing to do with why anyone would buy the product. Then there are those commercials that I think are just dumb or unrealistic. The worst commercials are those that seem to be trying to make a statement about society as opposed to selling a product. These types of commercials often portray men in a way that is unrealistic or in a way that is just an outright putdown. My two least favorite commercials airing on tv this year fall into that last category.


The first commercial (actually a series of commercials) is for a certain brand of personal grooming products. These commercials tell us that the products work so well the women in your life will steal them from you. That’s not hard to understand. What bothers me is the fact that the women in the commercial seem…well…tougher than the man. Now, I don’t understand why a woman would want to smell like her husband (if there is a good reason I don’t want to know). I definitely don’t know why a mother would want to smell like her son in law. And as a man, my biggest complaint wouldn’t be that I want to keep the products to myself. I wouldn’t want my wife to smell like a man. I’m guessing if the man in the commercials explained that, he would never have to worry about his wife stealing his personal care products ever again.


I wish that was my biggest gripe about this series of commercials but it’s not. My biggest problem with them comes during one specific commercial where, instead of just stating his case, the man involved in these commercials sits there and cries about his wife using his products. I’m all for men being in touch with their feelings but crying because your wife used your shampoo or skin cleanser or whatever other product? That to me is where I cry foul. Truth is, apart from not wanting my wife smelling like me, I wouldn’t care and I suspect most men wouldn’t. (I wonder if most men would notice but that’s a different issue.) There really is no need to cry about it. Seems as if this product turns a man into a wimp or at least that’s what this commercial seems to imply. (Sorry if I’m being insensitive or if I’m not being politically correct.)


My second least favorite commercial is for a fast food company. During the commercial the dad realizes that he forgot to buy dinner. Just in the nick of time, his wife comes in with food as she seemed to assume he would forget to get it. Here’s my question. How many men would forget dinner? Granted, a dad might put together some really odd combination for dinner but forgetting it all together? I doubt it. This fits into the category of unrealistic characterization.


Now before you tell me to get a sense of humor, let me point out that this is written somewhat tongue in cheek. To be honest, I ignore most commercials. In fact, I often channel surf during the breaks. But every now and then I do watch a commercial and often come away thinking that the creators didn’t think that one through. There are some clever commercials out there but a small few just kind of rub me the wrong way. So be honest. Which commercials are your least favorite?


No comments:

Post a Comment