Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

I Love Old Books

I love old books. Yes, I do occasionally read e-books but there is nothing like the cover of a physical book nor the feel of turning the page. And I prefer an older page, one that has yellowed a little with the passage of time, over the feel of one hot off the presses. Oh, don't worry my fellow writers, when applicable I do buy new in order to support all of you who make a living with the printed word. But when I can, I buy old.

When I can, I also buy hardcover. There is some sort of tactile appreciation that comes with holding a hardcover book that I just can't get from an e-book or even a paperback. By the way, I hide the dust jacket until I finish reading. (Am I the only one who does that?) I prefer the look and feel of the actual cover. Dust jackets often slip and slide, rubbing on the cover and making the book uncomfortable to hold. Give me a hardcover and the older the copyright the better.

I only recently started collecting old books, spurred on by something I found while at work. While helping a retiring colleague clean out her office, I found an old Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary. The copyright is 1971 which I guess is not real old by book standards but considering this came out before my first year of elementary school it seems old to me.

This is a handsome book with its black cover simulating leather. One look and I knew I needed to take it home. Then I read its table of contents which listed a "Proof of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address." Finding this treasure made it a keeper in my...um...book. I doubt it is worth very much and likely never will be, but it will hold a prominent place in my library. That is, it will hold that place once I finish remodeling that room in my house.

I did have a shot at a book that one day might have been of some value. It was a rare version of a Sherlock Holmes book. This version had pictures in it from one of the movies. Online I found hints that it was worth more than the asking price at the vendor where I usually buy old books. I hesitated, thinking I was missing something and taking time to gather more information. I guess my loss is now someone else's gain. That's fine with me. I'm not in it for the money. I simply love old books.

No comments:

Post a Comment