Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Are Schools Talking With Or Digitally Talking At Parents?

Photo by Nguyen Nguyen from Pexels
It's amazing how much things have changed since I was in school. Back then we brought home test papers for our parents to sign. That was a lot of fun when I got an "A", not so much when I got an "F". Now everything is electronic, with an email at the end of the week telling me what my child may or may not want me to know. To be honest I'd rather schools go back to having me sign tests. At least then I might actually know what’s going on.

Yes, I understand that we live in the information age but there is a point where information becomes useless. At least when kids bring papers home I can see what they are having trouble with. An email with a grade tells me little to nothing. I've even had times when the weekly email gave the wrong impression, like when one of my sons seemingly failed a test in a class where he would normally get straight A's. Turns out he missed one question in one section on the test. Because the section only had two questions, missing one meant getting an "F" on that section. I was left scratching my head until I learned he had gotten an "A" overall on the test.

In this digital age I see grades without context. I can't tell if my sons are struggling because they don't understand one topic or if something else is going on. In effect the schools send me more information while managing to leave me out of the loop. This leaves me learning a new way to read, one that allows for understanding the new tech school information system. Ultimately though, I have found an old tech solution to the problem. Each day after work and school we having a “debriefing session” where we talk about each class. With all of the avenues for getting real time information, the best answer is still an old fashioned conversation.

As a parent, do you like the new tech ways used by schools to send information? Do you feel like you are part of a conversation with your school or do you feel like they are electronically talking at you?

No comments:

Post a Comment