Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2019

Ash Wednesday and Repentance from Sin

Attribution: Lolcatss [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)] via Wikimedia Commons

For many Christians Ash Wednesday marks the start of Lent, a period of time lasting forty days (not counting Sundays) during which believers take part in traditions designed to help them grow closer to God. I must admit that I have never observed Lent beyond recognition of Jesus' death and resurrection. But this year my understanding of Lent was broadened during a conversation with a brother who expressed concern that those who have Easter without Lent may be missing an opportunity for growth. So I decided to explore the traditions of Lent while examining my own understanding of the events leading up to Easter and would like to share some of my thoughts in a series of posts.

As a believer who does not observe Lent let me start by saying this is neither an endorsement nor a criticism of the traditions associated with this time of year. This is only to satisfy my own curiosity about something I was not exposed to as a child, starting with a look at Ash Wednesday.

I don't remember seeing anyone with ashes on their heads prior to moving to the east coast. I'm sure there must have been people in the area who took part in Ash Wednesday services as a matter of faith, but I was not aware of the practice. And so it caught me off guard when, on my way to work a few years ago, I saw someone with what looked like a dirt smudge on their forehead. I'm glad I didn't say anything as I would have looked like a complete idiot.

Back then everyone on Philly's Broad Street Subway kept to themselves and I was more than willing to uphold that tradition. But then a second person with a smudge passed by me on their way out of the train. By the third forehead smudge I realized that this was not just a lack of available mirrors. That's when I took a closer look and realized I was seeing the cross smeared onto the forehead of a passersby. By the evening commute these crosses were more prevalent. It was at that point that I understood why the day is called Ash Wednesday.

Traditionally the ashes used on Ash Wednesday are from the burning of the palms from last year's Palm Sunday celebration. The ashes represent dust and are a reminder that we are made from the dust of the earth and will eventually return to that dust. The ashes also symbolize the believer’s grief over their sin, as the day starts a 46 day period of fasting and prayer called Lent. For the next few weeks leading up to Holy Thursday the faithful observe a period of penance during which they demonstrate their repentance from sin.

Lent is a reminder of the seriousness of sin. As believers we speak of being saved by grace but that grace was not free. God paid a price on the cross so that we might receive the gift of salvation. Our sins were poured out upon Jesus Christ who received our penalty that in exchange we might receive His righteousness. His death satisfied our debt and in His resurrection, we have life.

As it is a gift of grace, we easily receive by faith the salvation of God. As you enjoy this gift don't forget that we are called to repentance from sin. Remember the price paid so that you might live free from the bondage of sin. In  response, open your heart that God may do the work of moving you to a life of repentance. Remember His grace and how by faith you receive mercy instead of the reward that you truly deserve, an exchange made possible by His sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment