Pages

Friday, February 28, 2020

A Meatball Sandwich, A Conversation and A Change of Heart

 Photo by Clem Onojeghuo from Pexels
We love our food here in Philly, which is why (according to apartmentguide.com) the city has about 422 pizza businesses. That's 26.6 pizza businesses per 100,000 people, placing us second among large cities according to Apartment Guide's list. And as BillyPenn.com points out, the number of pizza places could be much higher depending on how you calculate. Along with all those pizza businesses Philly has over 150 food trucks (according to roaminghunger.com) and a number of award winning restaurants. With plenty available at every price point, Philly is definitely a city that loves food.

From time to time, especially on Fridays, I find myself in front of one of the city's 150+ food trucks. Last week I chose the one on the corner just down the street from the day job, where I ordered a meatball sandwich with Parmesan cheese. As the owner of the truck prepared my sandwich, another customer commented on how good the sandwich looked. She said she didn't need to eat any more beef, having had her fill the night before, but seeing my sandwich changed her mind and her order.

If not for my sandwich the next customer would have stayed on course with whatever it was she had planned to order. I did nothing other than being there and paying for my meal. The sandwich spoke for itself without me interfering or making any changes. I believe the Gospel works in much the same way. God has given us a treasure that is attractive enough to change hearts and minds without our interference. We need only live it and be ready to teach it as the opportunity arises. People will be drawn to it simply because it is good. Such is the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment