Pages

Monday, November 25, 2019

That Little Parking Lot Across the Street

There's a parking lot almost directly across from my office and I thank God that it is there. I can't park in this lot as it is a private lot for another business. Besides, I take public transit, leaving my car (or often my scooter) at a suburban train station. I don't use this lot and there is nothing spectacular about this small patch of pavement. But still I am glad it is there, perfectly situated for bringing joy to my day. What's so special about this parking lot? It's special because of what it allows me to see.

Working in a major U.S. city, most of what I see daily are buildings. Many of these are so tall that they block out the sun. Workers in these buildings look out of their windows and get the pleasure of seeing...more buildings. Yes, city workers do get to see cars and streets or alleyways but most of the view consists of buildings. Fortunately Philadelphia has long had a thing for art, so these buildings often have sculptures and other interesting objects (like a giant clothespin) outfront but still the predominant landscape feature is still...buildings. It's a wonder that office workers don't hang posters (of say...Tahiti or the Bahamas) in front of their office windows in order to change the view.

This is where I am fortunate. Yes, the floor to ceiling window in my office does reveal two buildings directly across the street but between those two is my favorite parking lot, through which I get a view of something other than buildings. Between us are two trees offering shade to a patio which cuts one side of the parking lot off from the street. Beyond the parking lot are more trees of many different types. Some are short and some are tall. Most turn different colors during the fall, shades of red, orange and brown, while one remains green year round. They stand in stark contrast to the units of bricks and mortar which are also in view. The lot and the trees are much better than looking at a wall the entire work day, giving a view that reminds me to stop from time to time to remember that I am human.

I guess it might seem odd for someone to be thankful for a parking lot, unless of course you are behind the wheel. But this lot affords me a view of nature, a reminder that there is life beyond the steel metropolis. And for as long as I find myself punching a time clock, I will be grateful for my little parking lot across the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment