Pages

Friday, January 5, 2018

2018 NFL Wildcard Weekend

It’s time for the NFL playoffs and after a two year break I am bringing back my playoff game picks. After the 2015 Super Bowl I had a record of 14-8 in picking playoff games. This year I hope to improve that record although this might be the most challenging year for picking the games. The NFC east looks wide open as just about any team could make a run. I think the AFC comes down to two teams, although there is a third which could surprise people. So let’s look at this weekend’s games and make sure to let me know if you agree or disagree with my picks.

Tennessee at Kansas City
Saturday 4:35pm on ESPN

This should be a fun, high scoring game as both offenses will move the ball. I think the Chiefs’ running game might be the difference. They come in averaging 118 rushing yards per game. On the other side the Titans’ defense allows an average that is below 90 yards per game. Will Kareem Hunt be able to get going against the Titans? I think he will and this will open things up for the Chiefs’ passing game.
Chiefs 35 Titans 31

Atlanta at Los Angeles Rams
Saturday 8:15pm on NBC

In the Saturday nightcap we get to see Jared Goff and Todd Gurley make their first playoff appearances. How will they handle the spotlight, especially against an experienced Falcons team? This should be another fun game, coming down to the final drive. Watch for the Rams to control the ball late in the game helping set up either a game winning drive or leaving the Falcons racing the clock to keep their playoff run alive. With home the home field advantage I see the Rams coming out on top.
Rams 31 Falcons 28

Buffalo at Jacksonville
Sunday 1:05pm on CBS

I really think the Jaguars may surprise people in this playoff run, depending on how Blake Bortles handles the spotlight. At times Bortles is very good. But in the past there have also been those “What was he thinking?” moments. If Bortles plays well and if the Jaguars’ defense plays up to their potential, Jacksonville will put a scare into the two top teams in the AFC. But first they have to get past the Bills. With LaSean McCoy questionable for the game, I think the odds favor Jacksonville. If he is healthy the Bills have a chance. Without McCoy there will be too much resting on Tyrod Taylor.
Jaguars 24 Bills 14

Carolina at New Orleans
Sunday 4:40pm on Fox

On paper these teams seem to be evenly match. Digging deeper we find that the Panthers’ leading rusher is their quarterback. With Cam Newton under center I guess I should not be surprised. While this might work in the regular season I suspect it will become a liability in the playoffs. With the Saints bringing a much better balance on offense a lot will rest on the Panthers’ defense. I think they will play well enough to keep this one close. In the end I think Drew Brees will find a way to get all of his weapons working, leading to a Saints win.
Saints 20 Panthers 14

Enjoy the start of the playoffs this weekend. I think the NFL has served up what should be a very entertaining round of playoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment