Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

In Two Places

I have a question for other parents: how do you manage to be in two places at once? You see my family has reached a stage where I need to learn how to pull off the impossible. Until now I had managed to avoid the need. But with two boys, both of whom are now active in sports, we have reached a point where their seasons will overlap.

Soon I will have to choose one over the other. I will be forced to miss one game while attending another. One of my children will have to live with not seeing me in the stands because I chose to go watch his sibling. Which one will it be? Who will be left saying, "Daddy you missed it," after making the play of their life? If only I could be in two places. Then I could avoid yet another difficult parenting decision.

Perhaps the most difficult part of all of this is the fact that if I have done my job well, this will bother me more than it will bother my children. Yes one will be disappointed, but if I have built a proper foundation both of my children will handle this well now and in the future. If I have in the past shown them my love, they will both take a part of me with them to their games. And so it is possible to be in two places at one time. To do so I need only make sure that more often than not I am there for my sons at the right times.

No comments:

Post a Comment